Thursday, June 18, 2009

Today, and James 4:8

It's here!! My next blog post! I did it.

Well, not tooooo much has happened today, besides the brakes on the work van went out for the second time in three days. The really amazing thing is that both times we were in the exact same place when it happened. Thank the Lord we didn't have to slam on our brakes either time!! :) Today was also Jason's fifth birthday. My dad's mom and dad (Omi and Opa) came over for the day, so we had a good visit with them. Jason got a fish tank, and tomorrow we're going to get him fish. I'm expecting it to be my fish tank in everything but name; you know, all the cleaning and stuff. But that's ok. I've been wanting a fish tank in our room for a while, and, looking at it on the bright side, I just got one without even having to pay for it! Man, what a deal!! I'm liking this better and better. :P

Lately I've really been thinking about James 4:8. "Draw near to God and He will draw near to you." I don't know about you guys, but I often find myself praying ,"Lord, please just draw near to me. Make my relationship with You just so real, and make it what it should be." But, then I just kinda sit back and wait for it to happen. And it doesn't. And I find myself back where I was.

But (and I know this is obvious but sometimes I forget), that's not how it works. The Lord wants that true, living, personal relationship with us, but it doesn't just happen by us wanting it to happen. We have to seek after it. We have to "draw near to God." He will draw near to us. It's His promise. If there's something lacking there, it's totally, 100% our fault.

Paul Washer tells the story of how he just wanted God to be real to him. He would sit up for hours late at night and just pray and pray that the Lord would make Himself real. That went on for months before the Lord answered his prayer, and it was just amazing when He did.

Now, is that what we are all supposed to do? Of course not. But my point is that we have to seek whole-heartedly after the Lord. Not half-heartedly. And not just sitting around waiting for the Lord to draw close to us. And of course, our prayer is still, "Lord, I want my relationship with You to be so real. I want to be close to You ." But, that's not all that we do. We also seek to draw nigh to the Lord. And He will answer that prayer.




3 comments:

Maiden Princess said...

Very good thoughts Ryan! I always enjoy reading your blog posts! :) I agree 100% with what you were saying about drawing near to God. If you notice it says, draw near to God and (then) He will draw near to you. Comments in parenthasies mine. We must first whole-heartedly search after Him, draw ourselves unto Him, and when we do, we will find Him. Like when I read my Bible in the morning and it just becomes so real and alive to me, it makes so much sense and I get totally pumped up, and then I wonder why I didn't do it sooner and/or more often. It takes us searching for Him and being consumed with Him, daily, hourly, even moment by moment if that's what it takes. A heart totally committed to seek Him, no matter what the cost.

Anyways, sorry about that! Good thoughts :)

Because of Grace,
Kneeling At His Feet
Maiden Princess

P.S. I have a button I'd like you to put on your sidebar just e-mail me and I'll give you the code if you think you might be interested. You can check it out at www.homeschoolblgoger.com/onenationunderGod

Jenna said...

Great reminder Ryan, that if we want God to grow nearer to us, WE need to invest in that relationship as well!

I totally understand about brakes going out...that's what happened to our 15 passenger...sadly it had to go:(

In Christ,
Jenna

Katie said...

Great thought Ryan! I love the book of James, and read it once a week, but I always find something new, or rather just new to me! Thanks for reminding us of that!

P.S. Sorry to hear about the brakes, I hate when that happens, and when it does and I'm driving it is even more horrible. :-)