Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Update

All right. Here's my second and long put off post. Part of the reason this is so long coming is that our internet was down Saturday and Sunday (that's what I tell myself anyways). New Year's Day we went bowling with my dad's side. The battery level on our camera was low, so we only got like 5 pictures. Here's a couple of blurry pictures of Jason. I scored my highest game ever of 155, but my next two games just barely squeaked over 100. Oh well. Maybe I'll do better next time.

Saturday, Kev and I went over the Cooper's to go on what we've been told was a very dangerous canoe trip down the Black River at night. We stuffed the Cooper's van with the canoe and all our stuff, piled in, and with Mr. Cooper at the wheel drove down to the river launch in Croswell. As soon as we pulled down the street the launch was on, we saw that the gate was closed. When we got closer we saw why. The river was flooded into the parking lot and frozen over. After we finished teasing Ryan for calling us to go canoing in a frozen river, we went back to the Cooper's and played some Settlers of Catan, did some finger jousting, and talked. So we still had a really good time, and probably a safer time. We'll have to try that canoing at night again, just maybe when the river is flowing.

I've been puzzling over Romans 7:14-21. I don't think it means what it seems to be saying, but I can't figure out what else it could be. If you have any insight on what Paul means there, you can leave a comment if you'd like.

I'm looking forward to my second skiing trip with the Heyworths, Bendixens, and I'm not sure who else yet. Hopefully I'll only fall a dozen times this time.

All right. It's quarter to ten, and I've gotta work tomorrow. I'd better hit the hay.

Keep the Faith, Brothers and Sisters!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"We'll have to try that canoing at night again, just maybe when the river is flowing." LOL

Great post!

J.J.

Kevin Wegner said...

Hey Ryan,
I think I’ve heard of you before, but I don’t know who you are. Wait. Are you that guy that drives crazy? Maybe I do know you. (Ok, that was dumb)

Anyway, regarding Romans 7, I think that these words refer to the principle of sin that still resided in Paul. The fact that the “flesh” and the “spirit” both exist in the same renewed man is the key to these verses. It isn’t necessary to observe that the apostle means not to disown the blame of yielding to his corruptions by saying, “It is not I that do it, but the sin that dwells in me.” The strain of the passage shows that his whole object in thus expressing himself was to bring more vividly before the church the conflict of two opposing principles, and how as a new man he condemned and renounced his corrupt nature. In verses 19-21 the conflict is described between a self that desires to do good and a self that in spite of this does evil. Without the Holy Spirit’s help, people are dominated by the power of sin and continue to do evil when they actually desire to do good. Sin is constantly at war because it will not give up the control over us that it lost when we came to faith in Christ. We cannot resist our sin nature in our own power. When we try, we will be defeated.
Paul does not say that these powers are equal, but that they are both there. We must realize the same. Sin must be resisted while relying on Jesus. When we fail to rely on Christ’s strength for our daily strength, we provide sin with more power over us. Sin’s power will not have grown, but our weakness will make it seem that way. Sin’s power is not an excuse for us to drift spiritually, or openly give in to temptation. We must be strong in the Lord, and ask him to give us the strength we need to fight sin, every single day.


Kevin

P.S. The general idea is from a Bible Commentary we have.

Levi Bendixen said...

I think Kevin hit the nail on your head (ouch!). I think he got it right, I mean.

155 is a lot for bowling. Great job!
I'm also looking forward to the planned ski trip.

God bless you Ryan! Hope to hear more of your spiritual thoughts.