Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Walking in the Spirit

I was reading in Galatians 5:16-25 a bit ago. I'm not going to write the whole thing down here, but I think it'd be worthwhile to read. I'll just post a few of my thoughts.

I was struck while reading this how many of the deeds of the flesh I have in my life compared to the fruits of the Spirit. I mean when you read it and compare the two, it's amazing how far I fall short of perfection and how much of my flesh is still a part of me. Outbursts of anger? Disputes? Dissensions? These are all things that Paul says we cannot practice but which I and I think many others struggle with. Isn't it great and wonderful that God is patient and merciful with us! If it wasn't for Jesus' blood, I'd sure be a goner!

Then I looked at the fruits of the Spirit. Love? Patience? Kindness? How much of these do I really have? Definitely not as much as I should.

Verses 16 and 17 say, "But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not fulfill the lusts of the flesh. For the flesh sets its desires against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; for these are in opposition to one another, so that you may not do the things that you please." For whatever reason (the Lord?), those verses just really made sense to me right then, even though I'd read them several times before, and it has totally revolutionized the way I look at my life and overcoming my character flaws. Before I would kind of just concentrate on not doing this one thing (talking disrespectfully, impatience, etc.). But after reading those two verses, I think the way we are supposed to be is just totally sold out for Him. Think about it. If everything I do, think, and say is for Jesus, if I am constantly walking in the Spirit, not only will I not have any room in my life for the deeds of the flesh, I will be doing the fruits of the Spirit at the same time. You get two in one. But, it's also the other way around. If I'm fulfilling my flesh, I can't have the fruits of the Spirit.

I think it's that simple. Just live our lives for Him, totally, all day, every day, and everything else will fall into place. Of course we will still face temptation, but, as long as we don't give into it, I believe it's appeal will grow less and less the closer we get to Him.

You guys might know all this, and it might seem obvious; but it has so changed me, I had to write about it. Not only has it helped me to have some victory over sin, it has also drawn me into a much deeper walk with Jesus.

Keep the Faith!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm... that was a really good post. Very interesting thoughts, and well-written. ;)

God bless, J.J.

Kevin Wegner said...

Excellent post Ryan! I completely agree with you.

'becca said...

You're right, this should be really obvious, but we don't always realize it. Great post and thank you for making me think.